Sunday, April 19, 2009

New Zealand Driving

This subject has been the topic of such a large portion of my thoughts I thought I would Blog about it. Here is my rental car.....your probably thinking, sweet car.















Well that's what I thought till I tried to get in on the wrong side....for the 30th or 40th time. Why? Because the controls are on the wrong side of the car!

Thankfully when I arrived at Auckland International Airport, there was a Minibus Express Agent waiting for me to drive me (safely) to Hamilton. Upon arival at my hotel in Hamilton I got handed the keys to my rental by the Avis lady. I was thinking, good luck ever seeing this car again because by that time I had learned that my car was in for a "crash course" in having an American driver.
My first day, I only drove a few blocks away to ease myself into the transition. Everything went ok untill I came upon one of the many roundabouts in town. Trafic goes clockwise in a roundabout down under, so it was a bit of a challenge. The car and I made it through, thankfully unscratched, and then promptly back to the hotel where we both sat for a few hours. The next time I ventured out, it was on foot.

After several days here, I learned another very important rule. When you are making a left turn, you must yield to any traffic turning from the right (even though they are crossing your traffic lane to do so). I think I have the rule down now, but I wonder what everyone else thought of me before I knew this rule?
Now after being in the country for four days, I feel pretty confident on the road. So it isn't impossible, just a little challenging.
Check back soon for photos of the 'cottage' Laura and I will spend out first year in.

No comments:

Post a Comment